Simply put, a Fiber to the Home (FTTH) system, owned by the Cities of Batavia, Geneva, & St. Charles will ensure:
- A highly reliable cable television service at a better price delivered via a state of the art system with room for future offerings.
- A highly reliable true high-speed internet service at a better price for all TriCities residents that will change with the times.
- A highly reliable telephone service at a better price for local and long distance calls.
Even if you decide not to subscribe to any of the municipal services, you still benefit. Real competition forces SBC to pay more attention to the TriCities. The same goes for Comcast. The end result? You get better service from existing providers. Your rates go down. Your options for service expand.
Construction of this utility also affects the larger picture. It creates a level playing field and REAL competition for Comcast and SBC! All through a single, reliable, future proof fiber optic line directly to your home or business.
As buildout expands, the uses for the fiber optic backbone grow also.
- Point-to-point business services (link your offices or stores together) within Batavia, Geneva & St. Charles
- Automatic meter reading for the electric and water utilities
- Bandwidth can be available for telemedicine uses
- Long distance learning
- Smart home technologies
- Home-based businesses
- Things we haven't even thought of
One of the major concerns in the 2003 election was the use of General Obligation bonds to back this project. While the Cities' feasibility study showed the numbers projected no potential risk to the taxpayers, the incumbents (Comcast & SBC) played up these fears to the voters of the TriCities.
In 2004, we removed that concern. Our model called for the use of private sector investment only, thus NO TAXPAYER DOLLARS ARE AT RISK. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA.
PLUS - the money you pay for municipal service stays right here and is reinvested right here. It doesn’t go back to San Antonio (home of SBC) or Philadelphia (home of Comcast).
As a voter in the TriCities, you have a chance to change the future in your hometown. Municipally owned cable, internet, and phone saves you money and brings accountability for billing, customer service, and upgrades back to a local level.
TRUE LOCAL SERVICE. TRUE LOCAL ACCOUNTABILITY. AND YOUR MONEY STAYS HERE.